Sts. Peter and Paul School first began in 1857 in a log cabin. Mr. Silbersack, one of the parishioners, as well as other lay teachers served as the faculty with German being the primary instruction language.
In the early years, teachers changed rapidly. At some point a new clapboard schoolhouse was constructed where the current rectory stands. A brick walkway was erected between this new clapboard schoolhouse and the church to protect students from the weather
In 1888, the school had to close. So during the school year of 1890-91, a teacher named Miss M. Hansler held class gratuitously for the young men of the parish 3 times per week from 7-9pm.
In 1894, an addition to the school was constructed, with a “folding wall” being installed to allow for a single to teacher all eight grades in cases where another teacher was absent.
November 2, 1916, the school was blessed with the Sisters of Divine Providence to serve as their faculty. They continued their teaching until 1948. They resided under the school during their tenure at Sts. Peter and Paul, with only outside stairway access to their living quarters.
In 1948 the Sisters of St. Benedict replaced the Sisters of Divine Providence teaching for 8 years. They left in 1956.
In 1951 the parish rectory (which was a white house sitting where our current Butch Luebbers Pavilion is located today) was remodeled into a school. Two classrooms were on the main floor with the sisters’ living quarters located upstairs.
The Sisters of Notre Dame served as the teaching faculty from 1956 – 1972. They were the last congregation of sisters to serve at Sts. Peter and Paul School, with the exception of Sister Mary Immaculate Becker, C.D.P., who served as Principal from 1984-1986.
In 1957, the first phase of our present school was built and dedicated under the leadership of Fr. Terhar. It consisted of 3 classrooms, a cafeteria, and 2 restrooms. This was the first time students did not have to pack their own lunch and were able to be served warm lunches.
During the late 1960s, the first grade was dropped due to large increases in enrollment during the previous years. Therefore, the first grade students had to attend public school.
In 1972 when the Sisters of Notre Dame were no longer able to serve the school, the Sts. Peter and Paul Parish School continued with Mr. Hipple as the first lay principal, along with Mary Gerhardstein and Pam Stelenkamp as other supporting lay teachers.
In 1990, enrollment had grown again, requiring the necessity of additional classrooms.
In 1992, under the guidance of Fr. Boschert, a new classroom was constructed. This is now the current school office.
In 1992 a preschool program began under the leadership of a few volunteer parents one day per week for 2 hours. It was held in the old parish rectory/school where the current Butch Luebbers Pavilion is located today.
In 1996, Fr. Boschert led an extensive building project of 4 classrooms, a modern kitchen, and social center (used as a cafeteria and gym), 2 additional bathrooms and locker rooms.
In 1999, the preschool program evolved into a 3 hour day and eventually was moved into our current school building. At one point, there was a morning and afternoon session due to the number of students.
In 2002-2003, 4 additional classrooms were added to accommodate the beginning of a kindergarten as well as increased enrollment.
In 2004, the preschool decided to apply for a star-rated program. The Sts. Peter and Paul Preschool was one of the first to achieve the Stars Program and was also one of the state’s pilot preschools for this Star Rated Program. Once accredited, the preschool developed into 3 days per week and added an optional enrichment class a few years later.
August 2004 Sr. Lynn Stenken CDP was hired as Sts. Peter and Paul’s first DRE (Director of Religious Education). She continued to wear a variety of different hats from DRE to Middle School Religion Teacher.